Sunday, August 12, 2012

~Tonia Does Her Big Chop~

I posted last week how excited I was that my friend and co-worker Tonia was taking the plunge and doing her big chop. We've talked about her doing her BC but I had no idea that without any hesitation she would agree to do it that week. One of the most important things I learned while transitioning is not to pressure a person into going natural so I wanted to make sure she was really ready to do it and did not feel pressured to take that step. All week I asked "are you sure you are ready to do it now?" and every time she would quickly respond and say "yes"!


For Tonia it was only appropriate to have a few girlfriends accompany her to the salon for this big event. Four of her friends, myself included joined her at Avalon Hair & Color Studio where stylist Brittani would have the pleasure of doing her big chop. Once we arrived at the salon Tonia was all smiles and even as Brittani began to cut her gorgeous locs she didn't appear to have an ounce of fear.

After Tonia's relaxed ends had been cut off Brittani twisted her hair using ReVe Essentials Moisturizing Creme and put her under the hair dryer to allow the twist to set. We continued to laugh and joke as we anxiously waited to see the final results. About 40 minutes later the stylist began removing the twist and suddenly Tonia's facial expression began to change. I could see the look of concern in her eyes as Brittani took her shears and started shaping Tonia's curly tresses. I asked her was she ok and she said "I'm ok" but I could tell she was having that moment when you begin to wonder "what have I done". We all gathered around and told her how cute her hair was and helped reassure her that she made the right decision. Slowly but surely that look of concern disappeared and she began to smile. She realized her "sexy" had not gone away and she returned to the cheery Tonia we all know and love!
 By the time Tonia left the salon Brittani and I breathed a sigh of relief because for a moment we thought Tonia would hate both of us!! For a girl who had never has her hair cut before I think she handled it like a trooper! I was/am so proud of her and excited for the journey that is to come!
Congratulations Tonia and thank you so much for allowing me to document the official beginning of your new journey!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment