Saturday, November 5, 2011

TKK Natural Hair Spotlight-Javonna Hood

What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Javonna Hood and I am from Cleveland, Ohio.

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for about 7 years now.

Why did you decide to go natural?
I decided to go natural because I saw my real beauty. It took me many years to fully go natural because I was so wrapped up in the straightness of our hair and how that look was suppose to be beautiful. But since going to college and meeting women throughout the years that wore their hair bald, or had locs, or even an afro I thought those woman were so much more beautiful. 

What is your hair type and how would you describe it (kinky, curly, wavy, spirally, etc)?
I would describe my hair I guess as spirally (3B).

What is your hair care regimen?
You know what, some people may disagree with my hair care regimen, but it works for me. I wash my hair maybe once or twice a month using Aubrey Organics Shampoo and Conditioner. I twist my locs with Mango & Lime Locking Crème Wax and their Lock & Set Styling Lotion. As a treat I will go to my stylist who specializes in locs and she will do the special color treatment for my hair and she also uses natural and organic products. 

What are your favorite hair products?
I can’t say I have any favorite hair products right now except what I have been using. I am always on the lookout for new and natural products.

Straightened
What has been your experience as a natural? Good, bad, or ugly? How has it affected you?
My experience after going natural is amazing! I have never received so many compliments on my locs and the color. Women and men approach me often asking me questions such as these on my hair. I love that men are starting to see the real beauty in women whose hair is natural. I’ve received so many compliments from men alone on my current look than when I had processed hair.


What is an important piece of advice you would give to a newly natural?
My most important advice to a person who is newly natural is to EMBRACE it! It is a wonderful experience to finally accept your hair for what it really is! If your hair was meant to be kinky and curly, then honey, wear it like no other! You must be patient with it also, because you are probably used to it being processed. But it will come natural just as you are letting it grow natural.

Final thoughts or words of wisdom?
My final thoughts are I love my natural nappy hair! The majority of us have been conditioned to think that light-skinned, straight hair, thin women are beautiful. All shades, all hair types, and all sizes are different types of beauty. Embrace what God has given you and always love what you have been blessed with.  Stay natural and educate yourself as well your offspring on true beauty!

Updo

Thanks Javonna!!!!

If you are interested in being featured in TKK Spotlight please email me at: TheKinkyKhronicles@gmail.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment