Friday, December 23, 2011

TKK Natural Hair Spotlight-Angel N

What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Angel, from Cleveland, Ohio, but I currently live in central NC.

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural since 2000.

Why did you decide to go natural?
I went natural after a series of ‘trying to stay cute while not  actually having to do my hair in undergrad’ microbraids left my relaxed strands (even more) fragile, broken, and lifeless.  At one point, I literally had an afro with wispy permed strands atop.  After realizing that there is no way to look like a professional business student with a crappy do, I decided to go to the barbershop and do the big chop, and it’s been natural ever since.

What is your hair type and how would you describe it (kinky, curly, wavy, spirally, etc)?
I would describe my hair as a combination of 4b and 4c.  It’s dense, but my individual strands are pretty thin. 

What is your hair care regimen?
My hair care routine is pretty simple.  Over the past few months, I’ve been actually getting my hair professionally washed and styled.  However, between professional visits, my routine is pretty simple.  For daily styling/moisturizing, I try to sleep with a satin hair bonnet, and depending if my hair is free or styled in braids, I either moisturize w/ some sort of oil or moisturizing crème.  I put the product in my hair and then hop in the shower, letting the steam help the product penetrate my strands.  By the time I’m out of the shower, my hair is styled and ready to go! 
For cleaning, I use a 2 in 1 hydrating/moisturizing shampoo/conditioner, and I try to get regular trims every 3-4 months.

What are your favorite hair products?
I go in phases.  I’ve tried them all, from the $60 stuff, to the $5 drugstore brands.  Currently, my hair loves Herbal Essence Hello Hydration 2-1 shampoo/conditioner and Cantu Shea Butter Deep Conditioning Cream.  That cream gives my loose hair life!!  I also like Tea Tree oil for my hair when it’s in braids/twists.  I also love wide tooth combs and the tangle teezer for detangling.  I know reviews are mixed, but it really does work wonders on my hair, with minimal damage.

What has been your experience as a natural? Good, bad, or ugly? How has it affected you?
My mom absolutely HATED my hair when I first went natural.  Now she likes it.  I guess she had to get used to it, because hey – it’s not like I’m ever going to get another relaxer.  Other than that, people, especially those not of my ethnicity, are absolutely intrigued with my hair.  My hairstyles are a frequent topic of conversation amongst colleagues at work.  And of course, you have those nosey lookie-loos that not only want to comment on my hair (I’m used to that), but also want to touch it.  Normally a stern look of disapproval and a sharp head nod away from wandering hands stops them in their tracks. ;)

What is an important piece of advice you would give to a newly natural?
Just let it be.  Stop playing with it.  Baby your edges and ends. Keep it moisturized.  Sleep with a satin bonnet.  Drink lots of water and practice sound, mostly healthy nutrition.  Detangle and trim edges regularly.  Just because a certain product works for nappy so and so from YouTube, doesn’t mean that it’s going to work for your hair type/porosity.  Find out what products work for you, and stick with them.  Otherwise, you’ll become a product junkie. ;)

Do you have a blog, vlog, or website where we can find you?
I have a blog, but it’s not natural hair related.  You can email me at angel11e01@aol.com.

Final thoughts or words of wisdom?
Love the hair that you were given.  There is no cream that will make your hair a bucket of ringlets if your strands are Z shaped.  There is a place for natural hair in dating.  Also, there is a place for natural hair in corporate America.  I’ve been natural since graduating college, and I have NEVER been turned away from a job because of my hair.   I recently interviewed for a position with a huge (yet neatly coiffed) afropuff in a black headband.  With my puff, suit, blouse, and pumps, I was the picture of a professional, upwardly mobile woman.  Don’t let anyone else tell you different!



Thanks for sharing Angel!!!


If you are interested in being featured in TKK Spotlight please email me at: TheKinkyKhronicles@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. Great items from you, man. I've be mindful your stuff prior to and you're just extremely great.
    I actually like what you've bought here, certainly like what you are saying and the best way by which you assert it. You're making it entertaining
    and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn
    much more from you. This is really a wonderful site.


    my website ... krankenversicherung privat vergleich
    My webpage ;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing in your augment and even I achievement you get
    admission to constantly fast.
    Also see my site > gesetzlich freiwillige krankenversicherung

    ReplyDelete