Sunday, December 4, 2011

TKK Natural Hair Spotlight-Ronyelle Baker


What is your name and where are you from?
Ronyelle – Dayton, Ohio

How long have you been natural?
3 years and 4 months

Why did you decide to go natural?
I got tired of being jealous of other naturals and being afraid of my own head of hair. I also had type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure meds that had severely damaged my hair along with relaxers that created a lot of breakage and bald spots.  Most importantly though, I had 2 foster daughters with natural hair and I wanted to learn /teach them to love every aspect of themselves and their hair.

What is your hair type and how would you describe it (kinky, curly, wavy, spirally, etc)?  
4a-b-c in various spots. Kinky coils is most accurate, I think.

What is your hair care regimen?
I don’t know that I have one.  I wash/cowash every 2/3/4 weeks. I only shampoo if I have put a lot of junk in my hair. I mist my hair with water everyday. Use mostly natural oils and products. I always add natural oils to every store bought product I use. I moisturize and twist my hair into 2-8 plaits every night and sleep with a satin bonnet.

What are your favorite hair products?
Coconut oil, jojoba oil, vitamin e, and tea tree oil. I add them to everything that ever touches my hair.

What has been your experience as a natural? Good, bad, or ugly? How has it affected you? 
It's been good!! My son and daddy weren’t too happy at first but they are dealing now that Ive got some length. My husband has always been supportive. The worst thing that happened was the butcher of ’09. I went in for my first trim at just shy of my first year and walked out with maybe an inch more hair than my BC.  That emotional setback was huge.

What is an important piece of advice you would give to a newly natural? 
Patience. Patience. Patience. Yes, it will grow. No, you wont see it happen. Sometimes simple is better.  Keep it clean and moisturized…the rest will work itself out. Knowledge is power. Research, YouTube, experiment.

Do you have a blog, vlog, or website where we can find you?
I blog at http://mrsrony.blogspot.com/ I also tweet and tumbl and pintrest.


Final thoughts or words of wisdom?
Love the hair you have, not the hair you want.

 Thanks for sharing Ronyelle!



If you are interested in being featured in TKK Spotlight please email me at: TheKinkyKhronicles@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment