Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TKK Natural Hair Spotlight-Danielle Chaney


1 week before BC
What is your name and where are you from?

Danielle Chaney and I’m from Cleveland, Ohio 

How long have you been natural?

Almost 11 months. My last relaxer was June 2010. I big chopped on October 30, 2010. 

Why did you decide to go natural?
 
I was growing very bored with my relaxed hair. Although my hair was very healthy, I longed for the versatility of natural hair.

What is your hair type and how would you describe it (kinky, curly, wavy, spirally, etc)?

My hair is a mixture of all the 3s. I have 3a in the front, sides, and nape of my neck. And 3b and c in back and crown of my head. My hair is kinky curly wavy...lol! 

10 months-Wash N Go

What is your hair care regimen?
 
I deep condition weekly with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque or Aubrey Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner (depending on which one I have on hand). I co-wash every 3 days with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture or Tresemme Flawless Curls Conditioner. My favorite shampoo is Kinky Curly Come Clean and I use that once a week or when I’m feeling some buildup on my hair. 

What are your favorite hair products?

I have a lot of products that I use depending on what look I want to achieve. For my wash n gos, I use Eco Styler Moroccan Argan Oil gel. For my finger coils, I use Kinky Curly Knot Today mixed with Shea Moisture Growth Milk. And now for my twist-outs I use Oyin Handmade Shine and Define mixed with the Whipped Pudding.

What has been your experience as a natural? Good, bad, or ugly? How has it affected you?

Day of BC-Oct. 2010
My experience has been great so far. I haven’t had any negative reactions other than the initial shock of when I first big chopped (I think I cut off about 12 inches or so of hair). Some people thought I had a “Waiting to Exhale” moment because it was about 1 year after my divorce...lol. I find that I have a lot of confidence and pride in my hair. And that I set a good example for my daughters to love and care for their natural tresses.

What is an important piece of advice you would give to a newly natural?

Be patient and gentle with your hair. This is the ultimate time to become a “product junkie” because you are finding out what products work for you. YouTube has an awesome natural hair community with a wealth of information on different products and styles. Use them to your advantage.

Do you have a blog, vlog, or website where we can find you?

You can follow my hair journey on my YouTube page (dchaney1982).

Final thoughts or words of wisdom?

Learn to love YOUR hair. Try not to get caught up on what other naturals’ hair looks like and learn to care for and appreciate what God gave you.
10 months-Blowout

 
Thank you Ms. Danielle!!!
 
 
 
If you are interested in being featured in TKK Spotlight please email me at: TheKinkyKhronicles@gmail.com









No comments:

Post a Comment