Wednesday, October 12, 2011

TKK Natural Hair Spotlight-Melissa Simmons

What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Melissa Simmons and I am from Cleveland, Ohio

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 1 year 2 months

Before BC
Why did you decide to go natural?
I was tired of the chemicals in my hair and all that it took to keep it straight. I also was tired of looking just like every other African-American girl (no offense). I wanted to be different and go back to how my hair was meant to be!

What is your hair type and how would you describe it (kinky, curly, wavy, spirally, etc)?
I would have to say that one thing that I noticed for sure now that I am natural is my hair is comprised of many different textures and not just one. Yet another beauty of being a natural!

What is your hair care regimen?
Umm..I cant really say that I have one…I  try to co wash every other day due to working out  and shampoo once a week  and then deep condition on Sundays.

What are your favorite hair products?
What I have found recently that has been working is Mixed Chics and for moisture I use Wonder 6 oil.


After BC
What has been your experience as a natural? Good, bad, or ugly? How has it affected you?
My experience has been good. At first I had to learn to let go of my length and accept what I was working with.  I often receive compliments even on days when I feel it’s the worst hair day ever.

What is an important piece of advice you would give to a newly natural? 
What works for one person may not work for you. It’s a lot of trial and error. Enjoy this journey because it defiantly a journey! Learn to love your coils and be in tune to what works

Final thoughts or words of wisdom?
I feel as if I am more confident now than I was with a relaxer. I am me with all my kinks and all and I LOVE it and LOVE me! I am so glad that I decided to embark on this journey. My only regret is that I took so long and my mother is no longer here and able to see me! She would be so proud!


Twisted

Thank you Mrs. Simmons!!
 

If you are intersted in being featured in TKK Spotlight please email me at: TheKinkyKhronicles@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment